News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Small Questions

Started by snapster, October 22, 2014, 08:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 23, 2014, 07:42:05 PM
What's a construction mat? And I thought the carcasses, baskets, and all that stuff was supposed to be taken care of by the producers themselves?

Is 4 the maximum number of hunters and fishermen per building? Why can one of the numbers be taken to around 8?
Sorry, construction materials. Logs, stone, iron.

Four is the max fishers, I thought 3 was the max for hunters; I don't know cause I never use more than one hunter per cabin. More is not efficient.

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 23, 2014, 07:42:05 PM
And I thought the carcasses, baskets, and all that stuff was supposed to be taken care of by the producers themselves?
Farmers and herbalists collect their own production. All other producers leave that job up to laborers.

snapster

I thought the Help stated it is the producers/workers who transfer their own products to storage areas.

As for the hunters, efficiency is different from productivity (if this actually makes sense upon further thought; whether the words are right). Using more hunters is probably more productive?

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 23, 2014, 07:47:45 PM
I thought the Help stated it is the producers/workers who transfer their own products to storage areas.
Unfortunately, the help is only 98% accurate.
Quote from: snapster on October 23, 2014, 07:47:45 PM
As for the hunters, efficiency is different from productivity (if this actually makes sense upon further thought; whether the words are right). Using more hunters is probably more productive?
I explained this above someplace. One hunter will normally get 800 venison/24 leather. Sometimes he will get 1000/30, occasionally 1200/36, and occasionally only 600/18. Two hunters will almost always get 800/24, sometimes 1000/30, occasionally 1200/36, almost never 600/18. Adding that second hunter isn't the best use of a hunter, better would be to build another cabin and put the additional hunter there.

snapster

1) :( and unacceptable
2) How does that even make sense?

solarscreen

I rarely max out a worker location unless I really need to see accelerated effort as in assigning 4 foresters when I usually just use 1 for planting only and 2 if I am planting and harvesting.

I usually keeps pastures and orchards to 1 worker and farms to 2 but I don't build the largest areas possible for these either.

Each hunter can achieve one kill per year. 

Education makes a HUGE difference in efficiency of workers and laborers. If I keep my education level above 90% I can really achieve huge successful towns easily.  Once it drops below 60% it takes a tremendous effort to keep your village alive.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

solarscreen

Quote from: snapster on October 23, 2014, 07:54:29 PM

Education level and animal availability.

snapster

Those are beside the point unless animal availability is quite the limiting factor.

Quote from: solarscreen on October 23, 2014, 07:55:41 PMEach hunter can achieve one kill pear year.

solarscreen

Quote from: snapster on October 23, 2014, 07:58:05 PM
Those are beside the point unless animal availability is quite the limiting factor.

Quote from: solarscreen on October 23, 2014, 07:55:41 PMEach hunter can achieve one kill pear year.

You also realize that each season is a year in this game?  I think it was figured out that each sim ages 5 years for each complete game year. 

irrelevant

Bummer for you. ;) Again, we've all been there.

The mechanics of hunting are arcane. Herds of deer move around in random patterns. Hunters move around through their circles in random patterns. When a hunter encounters a herd of deer, he will kill one and leave its carcass and hide lying on the ground for a laborer to pick up.

The hunter will continue to move around through his circle in a random pattern, but he will not bag another kill from that same herd until the following season (not month). IOW if he gets a kill from a herd in early spring, he will not be able to make a second kill from that same herd until early summer. However should he encounter a second herd in the spring, he can bag a kill from it as well. This is why 800/24 is mode, each kill is 200/6, and there are four seasons. But the single hunter sometimes will encounter a second herd in one or two seasons (hence 1000/30 and 1200/36). And sometimes he will miss a herd altogether in a season (hence 600/18).

Adding a second hunter to a cabin does very little to improve the performance here. No empirical proof here, just experience and observation. The additional hunter will add far more with his own cabin in a different location.

Hunters' cabins are unique.

irrelevant

Quote from: solarscreen on October 23, 2014, 08:01:05 PM
Quote from: snapster on October 23, 2014, 07:58:05 PM

You also realize that each season is a year in this game?  I think it was figured out that each sim ages 5 years for each complete game year.
I always refer to seasons and to years as two different things to avoid confusion. The years have numbers, and the seasons have names. The ages of the bannies is another thing altogether.

solarscreen

Quote from: irrelevant on October 23, 2014, 08:05:18 PM
I always refer to seasons and to years as two different things to avoid confusion. The years have numbers, and the seasons have names. The ages of the bannies is another thing altogether.

Part of the fun in the early days!  Figuring all this stuff out and learning to work with it or around it.

A lot like the strike zone in baseball.  Figure out where the ump is calling it and work with it rather than fight it.

irrelevant

Yep, deal with it or die from it, the game don't care. ;)

snapster

Quote from: irrelevant on October 23, 2014, 08:02:07 PM

Bummer for you. ;) Again, we've all been there.

Bummer for the game, not me.

Quote from: irrelevant on October 23, 2014, 08:02:07 PMThe mechanics of hunting are arcane. Herds of deer move around in random patterns. Hunters move around through their circles in random patterns. When a hunter encounters a herd of deer, he will kill one and leave its carcass and hide lying on the ground for a laborer to pick up.

The hunter will continue to move around through his circle in a random pattern, but he will not bag another kill from that herd until the following season (not month). IOW if he gets a kill from a herd in early spring, he will not be able to make a second kill from that same herd until early summer. However should he encounter a second herd in the spring, he can bag a kill from it as well. This is why 800/24 is mode, each kill is 200/6, and there are four seasons. But the single hunter sometimes will encounter a second herd in one or two seasons (hence 1000/30 and 1200/36). And sometimes he will miss a herd altogether in a season (hence 600/18).

Adding a second hunter to a cabin does very little to improve the performance here. No empirical proof here, just experience and observation. The additional hunter will add far more with his own cabin in a different location.

Hunters' cabins are unique.

So why isn't the production of the cabin multiplied by the number of hunters?

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 23, 2014, 08:13:10 PM

So why isn't the production of the cabin multiplied by the number of hunters?
Sorry, my explanation was incomplete. The limit of one kill per herd per season is for the cabin as a whole, not for each individual hunter.