News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Small Questions

Started by snapster, October 22, 2014, 08:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapster

Can that difference be introduced?

Also, automated pasture management would be quite nice. Selecting a number reached for slaughter (or just on capacity) and how far down to go. Something similar could apply to splitting.

slink

Quote from: snapster on October 26, 2014, 11:23:50 AM
Can that difference be introduced?
Not that we can see.

Quote from: snapster on October 26, 2014, 11:23:50 AM
Also, automated pasture management would be quite nice. Selecting a number reached for slaughter (or just on capacity) and how far down to go. Something similar could apply to splitting.
What, and make the game easier?   ;D

slink

Quote from: snapster on October 26, 2014, 11:03:02 AM
Along with trade value of things, how much certain things cost, things like farmers carrying baskets of how much food, pasture size to capacity of different animals, etc. This is important. An informative mod.

Quote from: snapster on October 26, 2014, 10:51:52 AM
The nutritive value on the quantity side of things. Weigh them for consumption. The quality side or more involved quantity side is why I asked what different types of foods do.

It would also be a very good idea for a mod to display the trade value of everything. Even if it is conditional on boats arriving first for people to inquire. Not a good oversight by the developer, and he rolls like this. The finding things out on your own is a thorny debate. Needs to be done quite deliberately.

Can you explain what you are really asking here?

snapster

There is information missing from the game or is inconveniently accessed that hopefully a mod could incorporate. One food should fill people more or less than another food. Different types of foods could also satisfy different nutritional requirements.

slink

Quote from: snapster on October 26, 2014, 11:48:13 AM
There is information missing from the game or is inconveniently accessed that hopefully a mod could incorporate. One food should fill people more or less than another food. Different types of foods could also satisfy different nutritional requirements.
Grain, Fruit, Vegetable, and Protein types all satisfy different nutritional requirements.  This information is in the help file.

It makes little difference whether a food is harder to get or it is less filling, the result is the same.

It is difficult to incorporate missing information into a mod.  If by "inconveniently accessed" you mean that it is controlled by the executable, that is as good as missing from the point of view of mods.

snapster

We're just not on the same page.

slink

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: snapster on October 26, 2014, 12:27:34 PM
We're just not on the same page.
Hardly surprising.  It would appear that some people just don't have much analytical skill.  Why can you not treat the program as a "black box" and turn it into a "white box" by running it?

I generally learn about a program by using the items that come with it, like its help system which is often mysteriously unhelpful, by operating the program with acute observation of its behaviour.  Is that not one of the main functions of a "game"?  I find this very entertaining.

The page you are on practically demands the program specification.  That is proprietary to SRS and you are not likely to get it, even if some of the source code is available.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

Mahnogard

I could be wrong, but it sounds like at least part of what he's asking for is what we all spent so many fun hours figuring out on our own - all the spreadsheety goodness that came of endless experimentation, comparing results, and the dedicated players who posted spreadsheets on Reddit and other places.

I would be sad if all that had been available up front. Not only would it have taken out a lot of the fun for me, but a good bit of community building happened around all of that. Along the way, a lot of us learned that max efficiency does not equal max fun. If we'd had all the data, some of us might not have been as inspired, as creative, with what we were given. There's a lot of value in "try it and see what happens", I think. More fun, less math.

snapster

It's not the data but the general information derived from it that matters. Anyway, you have a point, but there is also a counter-point. Many players don't want to be arsed with much missing information especially if there is no natural reason for its absence. Although ironically I'm the more math oriented one when my instinct and my tendency is to not deal with deriving things through data collection and analysis to get to a point where I can play the game well. It indeed isn't as smart as some people might like to imagine it being, but yea, it takes some effort and smarts (which certain people/pretentious twerps of various ages in my mind may be attracted to). It also takes much wasted time, depending on your mind-set. This is a niche game for multiple reasons. Don't harbor the illusions it's a niche game because it's so smart. Although maybe that is some people's genuine idea of fun. Salutations to them!

"all the spreadsheety goodness that came of endless experimentation, comparing results, and the dedicated players who posted spreadsheets on Reddit and other places"

And yet I had to correct you on its actual significance.

By the way, Moose, what did you mean with that post? I couldn't quite follow it.

PS

It will be a proud moment for me when I do my first spread sheet and I find a good reason to feel proud of it.  :'(

slink

irrelevant

Spreadsheets is what I do all freaking day. I made my first spreadsheet in 1988, and I'll be mighty proud when I make my last one! Maybe in 2030 or so. :o

snapster

Does the herbalist stay at his place once the herbs limit has been reached to serve "patients"?

What do you do with them spreadsheets, irrelevant?

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 26, 2014, 03:44:27 PM
Does the herbalist stay at his place once the herbs limit has been reached to serve "patients"?

What do you do with them spreadsheets, irrelevant?
No, she turns into a laborer, but guys still take herbs to the (unmanned) herbalist and consume them there anyway.

I'm controller of a manufacturing company. I live by spreadsheets.

snapster

I thought someone had to be at the herbalist's place for the herbs to be consumed?

If there is no barn nearby would workers or laborers depositing goods and products use a nearby market?