News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Small Questions

Started by snapster, October 22, 2014, 08:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

Somewhere back a page or so @snapster asked what I meant.  I want him to know that what I said was exactly what I meant.

However, to clarify, my point is "play the game and you'll find out soon enough."
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

irrelevant

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on October 26, 2014, 02:06:57 PM
I generally learn about a program by using the items that come with it, like its help system which is often mysteriously unhelpful, by operating the program with acute observation of its behaviour.  Is that not one of the main functions of a "game"?  I find this very entertaining.
This is how I approach games as well. Part of the fun is figuring out how it works.

snapster

*flies over head*

Do you make sure that there is a balance between housing and jobs in an area, and if so how precisely?

Is there a bakery yet? Does it take time to prepare some foods for consumption inside houses, like wheat for instance? Can it be made so?

Quote from: irrelevant on October 27, 2014, 06:04:26 AM
Quote from: snapster on October 26, 2014, 07:36:36 PM
Sounds interesting. What does it do?
http://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/679-Colonial-Charter-1620-BlackLiquid

Woah, what did you find wrong with this?

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 06:57:27 AM
Do you make sure that there is a balance between housing and jobs in an area, and if so how precisely?
Yes. Use the pathfinding tool to see where the people live who work in an area. If any long commutes are detected, build more housing.

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 06:57:27 AMIs there a bakery yet? Does it take time to prepare some foods for consumption inside houses, like wheat for instance? Can it be made so?
There's a mod that includes a bakery, but I'm waiting for the @RedKetchup bakery to go with his mill mod. He says he's working on it.

Food requires no prep. Guys only eat four times a year too; they should have to eat 90 times a month. ;)

snapster

What did you find wrong with that mod? At first glance those guys seem to be doing at least part of what should be done in my opinion.

Another issue with labor balance, by the way, is that if there is an excess of housing laborers may be traveling long distances. An excess of housing in a developed area doesn't cause less families, does it? I have been noticing older single people, not too old, but that's perhaps because their spouses already died...?

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 07:19:26 AM
What did you find wrong with that mod? At first glance those guys seem to be doing at least part of what should be done in my opinion.

I'll probably give it a try at some point. But it makes no sense to include it in an existing town. You'd want to be prepared to commit to that mod and just a few others. For now, trying out new mods, I want to be able to pick and choose what to include.

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 07:19:26 AM
Another issue with labor balance, by the way, is that if there is an excess of housing laborers may be traveling long distances. An excess of housing in a developed area doesn't cause less families, does it? I have been noticing older single people, not too old, but that's perhaps because their spouses already died...?
An excess of housing can cause existing families to split up to fill the vacancies. At the least this uses more fuel than is necessary. Excess houses also mean more food in houses, less available for use by others. I haven't seen any conclusive evidence either way as to whether it slows down babymaking. Mainly because I try like hell not to let it happen in my towns.

Elderly singles almost certainly have lost their spouses. They can often be forced to "remarry" by finding another elderly person of the opposite sex and marking both houses for demolition/upgrade, then recovering just one of them until they both move into it. Almost always works.

snapster

It certainly isn't uninteresting, but yes, it requires a commitment. I have no issue with that given what it offers. At some point greater compatibility could make sense but that would require people to step their games up.

Can couples be broken up by excess housing? Is food not taken to houses in proportion to their residents?

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 08:32:32 AM
It certainly isn't uninteresting, but yes, it requires a commitment. I have no issue with that given what it offers. At some point greater compatibility could make sense but that would require people to step their games up.

I don't know about that. I would consider it highly unlikely that this mod in any way increases difficulty. Any difficulty would come from moving back the learning curve.

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 08:32:32 AMCan couples be broken up by excess housing? Is food not taken to houses in proportion to their residents?

Not permanently broken up, if number of families increases and number of houses does not, they will eventually get back together. I don't think stocking houses with food is done proportionally to number of dwellers; I could be wrong.

snapster

You might be right. At least a progression or a web of more content is there. That is quite notable.

Being broken up breaks families or their prerequisites up and hinders growth. If both (couples breaking up and full stocking of houses independent of number of residents) are true they are strange and unfortunate. But adult males and females without houses of their own will cause the singles to vacate houses? Individually or together?

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 08:52:36 AM
You might be right. At least a progression or a web of more content is there. That is quite notable.

Being broken up breaks families or their prerequisites up and hinders growth. If both (couples breaking up and full stocking of houses independent of number of residents) are true they are strange and unfortunate. But adult males and females without houses of their own will cause the singles to vacate houses? Individually or together?

Totally under the control of the player, avoidable by not building too many houses.

When there no longer are excess houses (when there is an eligible M&F who would move into a house together if one were available), the married couple will move back in together, in one of the two houses they currently occupy.

slink

Quote from: irrelevant on October 27, 2014, 09:15:09 AM
When there no longer are excess houses (when there is an eligible M&F who would move into a house together if one were available), the married couple will move back in together, in one of the two houses they currently occupy.
Are you sure this happens spontaneously?  I have had to evict one half of the split family in order to free the house for a new couple.

irrelevant

Thinking about it more, you may be right. I normally deal with it by demolishing one of the two houses just as soon as it happens (I always check new houses to see who moves in, unless I have way more families than houses). So, oops.

snapster

Stuff like this can accumulate for new or inexperienced players. Hardly the way it should be.

irrelevant

Bah. Learning curve stuff.

snapster

Quote from: slink on October 27, 2014, 09:19:22 AM
Quote from: irrelevant on October 27, 2014, 09:15:09 AM
Are you sure this happens spontaneously?  I have had to evict one half of the split family in order to free the house for a new couple.

Quote from: irrelevant on October 27, 2014, 09:23:18 AM
Thinking about it more, you may be right. I normally deal with it by demolishing one of the two houses just as soon as it happens (I always check new houses to see who moves in, unless I have way more families than houses). So, oops.

And this is just plain bad.