Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Small Questions

Started by snapster, October 22, 2014, 08:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapster

Quote from: irrelevant on October 27, 2014, 09:25:14 AM
Bah. Learning curve stuff.

You overestimate the blessing this game, or any game, is. Just because this is acceptable to you doesn't mean it would be to someone else. It's counter-productive. There is no legitimate reason for it, it is not communicated, and it can have a significant effect. Games need to be mindful and humbler.

Why do so many people lack a larger perspective?

By the way, your fix is unrealistic, exploitative/artificial/gamey, and smacks of poor design. Not good either.

slink

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 09:25:36 AM
Quote from: slink on October 27, 2014, 09:19:22 AM
Quote from: irrelevant on October 27, 2014, 09:15:09 AM
When there no longer are excess houses (when there is an eligible M&F who would move into a house together if one were available), the married couple will move back in together, in one of the two houses they currently occupy.
Are you sure this happens spontaneously?  I have had to evict one half of the split family in order to free the house for a new couple.

Quote from: irrelevant on October 27, 2014, 09:23:18 AM
Thinking about it more, you may be right. I normally deal with it by demolishing one of the two houses just as soon as it happens (I always check new houses to see who moves in, unless I have way more families than houses). So, oops.

And this is just plain bad.

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 09:30:01 AM

You overestimate the blessing this game, or any game, is. Just because this is acceptable to you doesn't mean it would be to someone else. It's counter-productive. There is no legitimate reason for it, it is not communicated, and it can have a significant effect. Games need to be mindful and humbler.

By the way, your fix is unrealistic, exploitative/artificial/gamey, and smacks of poor design. Not good either.

This is your opinion.  We have ours.   ;D

snapster

And people like you contribute to why things aren't as good or successful as they could be. You also make sense of some of my questions, ironically.

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 09:30:01 AM

Okay.

snapster

I like that response. Whatever. :P That's what the "kids" would say.

snapster

One, can you actually evict people without demolishing a house? Two, how can you have more families than houses? ???

slink

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 09:42:13 AM
One, can you actually evict people without demolishing a house? Two, how can you have more families than houses? ???
Why should we bother to reply, since you ridicule our answers?

snapster

This might be the first time I've ridiculed something, and it still is not completely clear on closer examination substantively. Arguably I could be too petty. I have found this thread quite informative and valuable, even though the laborer only transporting stuff thing does not appear to be true. Plus I like the interaction.  :-[ :-\

There's also a separation of stuff.

Irrelevant has to ask himself why he responds so much, by the way. :D If it wasn't for him this thread would've probably gone differently.

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 09:42:13 AM
Two ways. You can fire all of your builders. Then nothing happens to the house. Or, you can sit and watch it, and if builders come over and start to tear it down, you can hit the recover button before demolition is complete. At this point it's entirely possible that a new family moves into the house, if new guys in the meantime have become eligible.

The Town Hall definition of families is basically "possible families." It's complicated. But it includes some single people who would like to form a family, and who will do so if you build them a house. It's how you know when you are falling behind in house building.

irrelevant

I guess I just can't help myself. ;) Like Roger Rabbit and the old shave and a haircut trick.

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 09:39:43 AM

It isn't "whatever" exactly; it's more, "Let's say I say you're right. Now what?"

snapster

Does the single person leave the house immediately? And with an eligible couple it would be immediately claimed if the demolition is cancelled, or at the very least a single person won't return? Do families effectively mean couples?

Bobbi

@snapster, I agree with you that this is one game mechanic that certainly could use some improvement. I find it very micromanaged to have to check to see who is in the houses, if it makes sense, and if I want to "destroy" the houses and then "recover" them before they are actually destroyed so that my citizens open up a house for a new young couple. Sadly, I do not have any brilliant suggestions for how it might be improved. I did suggest a loooong time ago on, I think, the Shining Rocks forum, before it turned into a spamfest, that one idea might be to have the ability to mark a house as "working" or "not working", as that mechanic appears to be available in the game already.

snapster

Quote from: irrelevant on October 27, 2014, 10:01:31 AM
I guess I just can't help myself. ;) Like Roger Rabbit and the old shave and a haircut trick.

*clueless*

Quote from: irrelevant on October 27, 2014, 10:03:12 AM

It isn't "whatever" exactly; it's more, "Let's say I say you're right. Now what?"

We change ****! Maybe compile something (not the computer term)- a comprehensive list (or so the ambition would go) of useful things to know. Or consider what mods can do (like adding information or fixing the issue), and add it to a list. Or if this Luke person is ever gotten a hold of it'd be something to bring up. Or, we clearly condemn this stuff like the UN does. Personally, it makes me feel a lot better. No joke. It does make me feel much better. That certainty and justice. And getting something valuable and true done, or orderly perhaps, or something that makes me feel better on the inside for some reason... there is a case to me partly having to reevaluate my life.

@Bobbi

I don't even know what I'll do. Still uneasy about all this and I might just try to avoid it, including dealing with it.

slink

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 10:12:49 AM
Quote from: irrelevant on October 27, 2014, 10:01:31 AM

*clueless*

Quote from: irrelevant on October 27, 2014, 10:03:12 AM

We change ****! Maybe compile something (not the computer term)- a comprehensive list (or so the ambition would go) of useful things to know. Or consider what mods can do (like adding information or fixing the issue), and add it to a list. Or if this Luke person is ever gotten a hold of it'd be something to bring up. Or, we clearly condemn this stuff like the UN does. Personally, it makes me feel a lot better. No joke. It does make me feel much better. That certainty and justice. And getting something valuable and true done, or orderly perhaps, or something that makes me feel better on the inside for some reason... there is a case to me partly having to reevaluate my life.

@Bobbi

I don't even know what I'll do. Still uneasy about all this and I might just try to avoid it, including dealing with it.
Well, that's something.