Main Menu

Small Questions

Started by snapster, October 22, 2014, 08:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapster

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 10:12:49 AM
Quote from: irrelevant on October 27, 2014, 10:01:31 AM
I guess I just can't help myself. ;) Like Roger Rabbit and the old shave and a haircut trick.

*clueless*

I'd probably go with "chump." ;)

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 09:39:43 AM

We change ****! Maybe compile something (not the computer term)- a comprehensive list (or so the ambition would go) of useful things to know. Or consider what mods can do (like adding information or fixing the issue), and add it to a list. Or if this Luke person is ever gotten a hold of it'd be something to bring up. Or, we clearly condemn this stuff like the UN does. Personally, it makes me feel a lot better. No joke. It does make me feel much better. That certainty and justice. And getting something valuable and true done, or orderly perhaps, or something that makes me feel better on the inside for some reason... there is a case to me partly having to reevaluate my life.

I don't even know what I'll do. Still uneasy about all this and I might just try to avoid it, including dealing with it.

I'm just not optimistic regarding getting such changes made. Yeah, "nothing ventured nothing gained." I guess it comes from being involved in too many fruitless, frustrating ventures dousing any fires in my belly.

But Luke did respond earlier to player feedback, and did make some changes in 1.02-1.03. May he's still listening. But I'd be very surprised to learn that he's listening to us here. He did respond overnight to some bug reports over on the SRS forum. http://shiningrocksoftware.com/forum/discussions

snapster

Passion is part of it. Whether it's assertiveness and persistence or accumulating enough to offer and putting it in a good form to catch his attention, which is what I was thinking of on mod capabilities.

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 10:03:33 AM
Does the single person leave the house immediately? And with an eligible couple it would be immediately claimed if the demolition is cancelled, or at the very least a single person won't return? Do families effectively mean couples?

snapster

By the way, about that mod, look at this part of the description:

QuoteYou are a noble Lord, granted a tract of land by the crown in a newly discovered faraway land across the Ocean. Your country has rested all of their colonial ambitions on your venture, and supported you by recruiting a few families, a ship, and some potatoes with which to start a new productive and PROFITABLE crown colony. Your job is to ensure the survival of your country's citizens while quickly getting your agricultural and resource production up to speed - the Old World expects you to export strange new crops and products to them to justify continued immigration and investment. Can you fight against the harsh winter, unknown diseases, natural disasters, and lack of food to make your colonial venture successful? Or will you join the list of other failed colonies, their remains now only an archaeological curiosity?

In CC1620 you'll grow and cure Tobacco to fuel your home country's growing need for smoking. You'll raise insects, llamas, and pigs and make all-new clothes from a selection of newly modeled textile crops. You'll make rope from crops you grow, and use it to build new, better buildings for your colonists to call home. You'll even press seeds into oils, grow all new orchards, and welcome the first monks into your town. The BlackLiquid team will continue to release updates and optional DLC to expand the CC1620 universe even farther, giving you an all-new game experience within Banished.

Will you survive, my Lord? Or will search parties find nothing left of your settlement but broken pots and bones?

Does this mean modders can introduce goals into the game?

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 11:08:08 AM

- the Old World expects you to export strange new crops and products to them to justify continued immigration and investment

Does this mean modders can introduce goals into the game?
Smells like a sales blurb to me. I suspect this relies heavily on the JCYEAP* subroutine.

*Just Close Your Eyes And Pretend

snapster

I don't even know what a ****ing sales blurb is in this sense.

Quote from: snapsterWill you guys be incorporating challenge to go along with the content? Whether some of the content is to respond to a new source of adversity or whether the content is to enable players to deal with greater demands, for instance.

Based on the description, are you capable of introducing goals into the game? Will continued immigration and investment be made conditional on an export level?

Seems you were right. And here is a definitive answer on what mods can do in this respect:

Quote from: brockenspectreHi, thanks for the comment. We get a lot like this but you have to understand - we squeezed every single piece of capability out of what we're able to mod. What you're asking for is more than banished is currently capable of, and there's no way we'll be able to add game functionality like that.

Quote from: snapsterYou seem like the perfect people to get a hold of the developer and explain how things stand to him. By his admission he didn't even plan on offering mod capability, yet he implemented something. Perhaps by explaining the opportunities there could be in this game or its potential he would be persuaded to do more work. Why does it seem to me like there's a general lack of balls in the Banished community on this topic? It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the developer is receptive to a good, substantive appeal.

By the way, 1620 sounds like it applies to New England. What you seem to be doing applies to Virginia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia#Colony , with 1607 perhaps being a better date.

...I knows a little of something too. ::) The date I would've pulled out of my ass was like 1507 somehow though. More importantly, "Luke" isn't the queen of ****ing England. Slam down his door if you have to.

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 27, 2014, 11:43:59 AM
I don't even know what a ****ing sales blurb is in this sense.
Did you notice they have a PayPal Donate link on their page?

snapster

I'm fine with that. And misleading with a "sales blurb" strikes me as counter-productive. But these guys might be kids who can mod, which would explain them being "your favorite modders" as they claim.

Quote from: brockenspectreWe're not adhering to history. They didn't have silkworms in either place or time. Sounds like you have all the balls you need to ask him for more without our help. Good luck.

Quote from: snapsterYou obviously are trying to in picking 1620. Your description actually does fit decently with Virginia and a different date. Also, I would be doing it if I had the necessary knowledge to make a good appeal. Now, is there anyone more mature and with more passion than you on the team?

How much punk crap is out there?

snapster

Quote from: brockenspectreI find it incredible that you feel the need to comment on my maturity level. I don't feel the need to justify our design decisions to you, nor do I appreciate the criticism about the community's "balls" being placed squarely on our shoulders. I am certain the rest of the team will agree with me. We will be happy to refund any money you paid or donated to this mod.

I don't know whether to grin or despair. Were you actually right on the description being exactly a misleading sales blurb? That would be something.

What are the avenues for contacting the developer? I'll try it myself.

slink

snapster

snapster

Quote from: brockenspectreSo after several rereads of your comments, including more than a few passes through Google Translate (tried Vietnamese, Klingon, and Fuckwit - no luck), a blood sacrifice of omniscience to Baphomet (didn't work), and using my one and only "Phone a Friend" (He didn't pick up) my best guess is that what you're trying to criticise us for (and again, I am a COMPLETE idiot so I probably misunderstood again) is that the little lore story on the description page about being sent across the sea and stuff implies some kind of extra mechanics on top of vanilla game?

Oh, well it doesn't. That was easy.

I'm off to go be completely retarded somewhere.

The little lore story, irrelevant! I'll believe that take. It really fascinates me how on the face of it these idiots create some quality content.

QuoteHello,

I know that you're a single person working on Banished. Despite this fact I think the game has a lot of potential. Given the capabilities the mod community can produce a wealth of creative content. Have you given consideration to this? Banished appears to be inherently a very flexible game and if you work on enabling modders to take this game in different directions, keep enhancing and improving it, I think it can become quite successful.

What is your motivation? Is it money, creating something worthwhile and enjoyable, both? Whatever it is, I think you have a very good chance of pursuing it further. Would you be willing to explore specifics?

This is what I sent to the feedback email address.

salamander

@snapster -- It would seem that you've managed to use your unique brand of charm on individuals outside this forum.  I sincerely hope you were not portraying yourself as a representative of this forum, or that your views were typical of this forum.

snapster

O, dear salamander. I wasn't raised by the posters on this forum. Your precious reputation should be fine unless some malicious souls exploit your weakness.

By the way, they went back and edited the comments of the person I was engaged with. ;D Not a disaster, but so pathetic.

salamander

It was not my own reputation I was worried about, after all I'm just an anonymous salamander, but the forum itself.  Although there are many forums devoted to Banished, and undoubtedly many members of those forums that tend to stick to one or another, there is a lot of opportunity for cooperation in terms of mods etc...  I simply don't want to see one person poison the well and close those opportunities.  The continued success and development of the game is the effort of a community of many players, not just those here.