News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Small Questions

Started by snapster, October 22, 2014, 08:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slink

Foresters and gatherers have identically sized circles within which they work.  Hunters have a larger radius within which they work.  That means that always putting these three together causes a large overlap between the radii for hunters.

I hardly ever put herbalists in the deep forest.  Workers need to reach the herbalist in order to use the herbs, and that is a long way for them to walk when they should be tending their crops or cutting firewood.  It makes more sense, to me, to put the herbalists on the edge of the settled areas so they can gather in one-half of their circle, and the workers can reach them quickly.  Herbs are only really consumed early in the game when one or more food types are missing from the diet of the people.  Also, later on one can buy hundreds of herbs from traders.

snapster

The overlap isn't an issue if they don't interfere with one another. My herbalists are placed in the clusters closer to my main settlement areas. There don't seem to be too many visits to herbalists, and there isn't much pressure on producing herbs so I guess this would make sense of having half the circle over areas with herbs.

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 28, 2014, 10:09:57 AM
Well, placing the four together seems like a good idea to me. Space is limited when it comes to those buildings.
Do certain buildings get a limit on the number of things they can retrieve? Are my gatherers not getting 500 food because they got 3 logs?
You can see where I put my hunters in my Quatre Bras screenshots, and also Gnaw Bone, the town before that one.

The three logs don't reduce the amount of food you got, but the gatherer hut UI panel only displays the first four different items collected in one year. If a gatherer collects some logs before collecting, say, berries, then berries will not be displayed, but that does not mean there were none collected.

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 28, 2014, 11:19:37 AM
The overlap isn't an issue if they don't interfere with one another. My herbalists are placed in the clusters closer to my main settlement areas. There don't seem to be too many visits to herbalists, and there isn't much pressure on producing herbs so I guess this would make sense of having half the circle over areas with herbs.
Another thing people do with herbalists is to put one in town (in addition to the "working herbalist(s)" out in the woods). It will not collect much, but it does give a central location for bannies to go to use their herb. ;)

snapster

Quote from: snapster on October 28, 2014, 07:41:58 AM
Is mod code available? For editing as well? Can someone publish a mod that includes other edited mods?

Also, can a mod refer to the content of another mod in its code?

A Nonny Moose

One of the posts either here or on the SRS site contains a link to the mod kit.  If you are not a C++ programmer, I'd forget it.  There are also some serious software requirements.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

salamander

Serious software, yes, but at least some of the packages are free, and others have demos or trial versions that can be used if @snapster just wanted to try things out.

snapster

Out of curiosity, what's the software you'd need? Aren't programs you code in free? I would never be doing any modeling or anything, by the way.

By the way x2, just getting the mod kit, if not via Steam, proved befuddling in the earliest stages, which I never passed. :) To my credit it was late and I wasn't going to do it yesterday...

A Nonny Moose

Quote1. Banished Toolkit Prerequisites

The Banished toolkit requires Banished version 1.0.4 Beta or better. While the shipped game runs under Windows XP, the toolkit does not. The toolkit was developed and used under Windows 7. Other operating systems have not been heavily tested.
    The toolkit requires all graphics SDKs that the game supports to properly compile shaders. At the moment DirectX 11 and DirectX 9 are required. OpenGL support will be required in new releases.
    The data files from your purchased game are required.
    The DirectX End User Runtime will have to be installed. You can find it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35
    The Visual Studio 2012 Redist is also required. It can be downloaded here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679 The toolkit may be compiled with newer versions of MSVC in the future - if so you'll have to install the redist for the newer versions.
    For machines (mostly laptops) that have both an Intel card and Nvidia card, make sure you set the tool and game executables to use the high powered video card, rather than the integrated one.
    The game uses the font FrancophilSans. You may need it installed depending on what you are modding.

This is a direct lift from the tool kit readme file.  Free is in the eye of the beholder.  I should think one would be wise to have Microsoft Visual Studio for the Help files if nothing else.  Student versions can be had free, I believe.

snapster

And what are the serious software requirements there, Nonny?

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: snapster on October 29, 2014, 09:17:49 AM
And what are the serious software requirements there, Nonny?
Patience, grasshopper.  This question was answered above.

snapster

Microsoft Visual Studio? For what specifically?

salamander

I may also have misunderstood what was meant by 'serious software' as well.  I thought programs like 3dMax were being referred to, and although it and/or similar programs may have trial versions, the full versions are expensive.  Since you don't have an interest in modelling, these types of programs are not needed.

Only the redistributable from Visual Studio 2012 is required, and it's a free download.

snapster

Why does my food not plummet during winter? It seems to strangely stay up. I just had a food scare with my food going down probably until harvest time. Yet during the winter it seems to have stayed near constant or too high up.

Also had a child born named Crist. One letter away from being the messiah.

It plummeted in the early spring. ??? Food hoarding?

solarscreen

Quote from: snapster on October 29, 2014, 11:56:51 AM
Why does my food not plummet during winter? It seems to strangely stay up. I just had a food scare with my food going down probably until harvest time. Yet during the winter it seems to have stayed near constant or too high up.

Also had a child born named Crist. One letter away from being the messiah.

It plummeted in the early spring. ??? Food hoarding?

Food gets fully stocked each time a resident visits a barn or market.  That can take awhile before it dwindles and has to be resupplied.  The drop happens when you have a majority of your population hit the supplies at the same time.  If you have gatherers, hunters and fishers doing well, you may not see a drop.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics