News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Small Questions

Started by snapster, October 22, 2014, 08:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapster

You obviously don't get it. It's not easy looking for evidence of something you don't understand.

I'll actually have to restart a third time.

salamander

Quote from: snapster on October 24, 2014, 04:35:06 PM
How are there laborers remaining to move the goods and products of workers when there is an ongoing clearing task?
That was actually the point that folks were trying to make.  If you tie your workers up in a large clearing task, movement of goods will suffer.  With smaller clearing jobs, you can actually get more than one task (movement of goods and clearing) done in a reasonable time.

slink

Fishing on a convex shoreline is better than fishing on a concave shoreline.  It is the surface area of water within the circle of the fishing dock that determines the productivity of the fishing dock, not whether it is on a lake or a river.  Also affecting the productivity are: distance to the barn where the fish are stored, distance to the house(s) where the worker(s) live, and the education level of the worker(s).

Until you have the competence to keep your colony alive without asking about each and every step of the game as you go along, you can't claim the game is too easy for you.   ;)

salamander

Quote from: slink on October 24, 2014, 04:44:00 PM
Until you have the competence to keep your colony alive without asking about each and every step of the game as you go along, you can't claim the game is too easy for you.   ;)
And that was my point, whether you agree with it or not.  :)

snapster

The task doesn't need to be large. There just has to be any clearing and that apparently greatly interferes with your "economy". There is no assignment of laborers to transporting goods and products. It's really stupid. I'm starting to think the developer might've screwed up. The Help offers some evidence for that.

snapster

Quote from: salamander on October 24, 2014, 04:45:39 PM

Again, you don't understand what you're posting about.

slink

Quote from: snapster on October 24, 2014, 04:47:33 PM
Quote from: salamander on October 24, 2014, 04:45:39 PM

Again, you don't understand what you're posting about.
I think we understand perfectly.   ;D

snapster

Fishing on a convex shoreline is better than fishing on a concave shoreline.  It is the surface area of water within the circle of the fishing dock that determines the productivity of the fishing dock, not whether it is on a lake or a river.  Also affecting the productivity are: distance to the barn where the fish are stored, distance to the house(s) where the worker(s) live, and the education level of the worker(s).

There's someone else thick in the head.

slink

Quote from: snapster on October 24, 2014, 04:48:31 PM

There's someone else thick in the head.

Moderate your tone, please.

snapster

Hard to express it in another way. The explanation is a few posts above and it spans like two sentences. That I'm finding the beginning of this game challenging, even if I find an entire game challenging throughout, and even if it takes me a lot of time to "nail" it all down or overcome it doesn't mean that the game is challenging over the long term. My experience is largely insignificant, especially in contrast to the greater experience of others whom I'm alluding to. A game is being evaluated, not me.

I like interacting with irrelevant more. :)

By the way, I'm asking so I can understand. Not because I'm scared of playing some stupid game. Much of what I'm asking would ideally be addressed by the game.

salamander

Quote from: snapster on October 24, 2014, 04:46:46 PM
The task doesn't need to be large. There just has to be any clearing and that apparently greatly interferes with your "economy". There is no assignment of laborers to transporting goods and products. It's really stupid. I'm starting to think the developer might've screwed up. The Help offers some evidence for that.
Because of the 'queue' structure inherent in the game, laborers will complete what you tell them to do, in the order you tell them to do it.  If you tell laborers to clear a large area of land and then tell them to do a much smaller job, they will clear the large area first before even considering moving on to the smaller job.  If the area to be cleared first is large enough, not only do you have the clearing time, but you also have time where the laborers may decide they're hungry and go back to their houses, or they're cold and try to find someplace warm.  Probably one of the slowest things in the game is travel, so these things all contribute to the total time it takes to clear an area.  With smaller areas, it's more likely that laborers will complete their task without the 'breaks' for food or warming up.  It can be a real difference.

It may be that you need to re-think your idea of economy.  Laborers make the economy work, but if they have to do additional tasks besides move goods around, that's going to impact the overall efficiency.  It's true in the game, just as it's true in real life.

snapster

Nothing new there. Clearing should not conflict with keeping things functioning. It's bad design, and conflicts with the Help which makes more sense. What if things are tight, as they are in the beginning of the game? How little should you be clearing at a time so that your laborers are also keeping up with carrying the goods and products of workers to storage where they can be retrieved from? Something doesn't even add up given how ridiculous this appears to be.

I imagine the number of laborers in later stages of the game must be great. What's the percentage?

salamander

If laborers are responsible for clearing and for transporting materials (I'm assuming that's what you mean by 'keeping things functioning'), then clearly clearing and movement of materials will have an effect on each other.

I'm not sure why you seem to be so intent on maintaining that the game developer did a poor job.  Whether he did or not, the game is what he created.  As players of the game, we live with cards we're dealt, and I personally don't have a problem with the cards I'm holding.

snapster

One, according to the Help they shouldn't primarily be responsible for movement of "materials". Two, the en masse commitment to tasks that conflicts with something as basic and constant as the movement of goods and products to retrieval locations is bad design, period. Three, based on the Help we don't even know what the guy intended. Four, I couldn't care less what he did. It's a question of how he did it. If you wish just stick to playing the games. I'd rather play something that's better or in a way what it should be.

salamander

Quote from: snapster on October 24, 2014, 05:30:28 PM
One, according to the Help they shouldn't primarily be responsible for movement of "materials".
Where are you getting this information from 'Help'?  I'd really like to know, because I can't seem to find a help file anywhere.

Two, the en masse commitment to tasks that conflicts with something as basic and constant as the movement of goods and products to retrieval locations is bad design, period.
Who's to say that movement of goods is more important than clearing?  If your priority is to expand your town and you have sufficient resources to do so, I'd say clearing has the higher priority.

Three, based on the Help we don't even know what the guy intended.
???

Four, I couldn't care less what he did. It's a question of how he did it. If you wish just stick to playing the games. I'd rather play something that's better or in a way what it should be.
Then why do you harp on the design of the game?  Keep in mind it's his game.  You can choose to play or not -- that's entirely up to you.  But, the constant complaints about what the game is, and what it's not, serves little purpose.