Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Technical questions

Started by assobanana76, May 14, 2015, 04:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assobanana76

WTF is that???

another problem in addition to the failure to screenshots with F12

I think I've reached the maximum number of people possible for my old PC.
the game is very slow ... it don't snaps screenshots (new games instead yes)
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

A Nonny Moose

You may have reached a limit in the number of saved games the program can handle.  If that is the case you should clean up old versions of your saves you don't expect to ever load again.  This can be done by finding the relevant saves (you could use the game panel) and deleting them.

I never keep more than one set of saves for a village at a time and I have a script that clears out the save area.  I am running Ubuntu, and here is the script:

john@john-12-10:~$ cat bin/wipeBanished
#!/bin/bash
rm ~/Banished/Save/*.sav
echo Banished wiped
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

assobanana76

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on August 06, 2015, 05:29:48 AM
You may have reached a limit in the number of saved games the program can handle.  If that is the case you should clean up old versions of your saves you don't expect to ever load again.  This can be done by finding the relevant saves (you could use the game panel) and deleting them.

I never keep more than one set of saves for a village at a time and I have a script that clears out the save area.  I am running Ubuntu, and here is the script:

john@john-12-10:~$ cat bin/wipeBanished
#!/bin/bash
rm ~/Banished/Save/*.sav
echo Banished wiped
you may be right!!
indeed usually I take only a single save to every village (in fact now only "New Las Vegans" and "TestCity") but this time I played with the mod to try to use FM: HS on the saved game and I wanted to be sure I do not miss anything .. as already it happened to me in the past ..  two times.. :'(
Now I am convinced that I can not use FM: HS on "New Las Vegans" I can delete all previous saves leaving just one!
tonight I try!

p.s. I don't know what "script" is...  :-\
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

rkelly17

I'm not sure the game cares how many save files you have. Awhile back, after I hadn't been paying attention for too long, I realized I had about 20+ save files of various towns I'd "finished." The game had never cared in the least and ran fine. I did go in and clean out the save file directory--I do like my drive to be neat and tidy, unlike the rest of my life.  ;D

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: assobanana76 on August 06, 2015, 05:47:31 AM
<snip>
p.s. I don't know what "script" is...  :-\

If you are a regular Windows user, don't worry about it. 

A script is a set of console commands for, in this case, my Linux system.  Windows has scripts too, but most people don't get that far involved with the operating system to want to use them.  It is ultra easy on Linux to pretend the Graphics User Interface (GUI) isn't even there.

BTW, that script deletes every saved file in the catalogue.

Paeng

Quote from: rkelly17 on August 06, 2015, 07:30:18 AMI'm not sure the game cares how many save files you have.

That's right, the game reads only the save you are calling up to play...
I usually have plenty saves for every town, and I only delete them once I close a town (because sometimes I like to go back to an earlier stage). That does not impact your game, it just clutters your HD  :P

So to clean it up once in a while is a good idea anyway  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: Paeng on August 06, 2015, 10:50:25 AM
Quote from: rkelly17 on August 06, 2015, 07:30:18 AMI'm not sure the game cares how many save files you have.

That's right, the game reads only the save you are calling up to play...
I usually have plenty saves for every town, and I only delete them once I close a town (because sometimes I like to go back to an earlier stage). That does not impact your game, it just clutters your HD  :P

So to clean it up once in a while is a good idea anyway  ;)

That's right, but since the game presents saves in a special window it is possible, I suppose, for this to have a buffer overflow.  I am interested whether @assobanana76 was able to fix his problem by dropping some files.  A bug like this, if present, could present an opening to hackers.

irrelevant

Right now I have ~150 save files in the documents/save/banished directory. I add a new one every time I play (I have moved hundreds out of here into other directories as a sort of archive). I have noticed that the more save files in this directory means that it takes longer to bring them all up when I select "Load." I can easily imagine that there could be other bad side effects caused by more files in this directory. I really need to go through and move a bunch of these out into the archive, but you know how that goes.... ;)

I have a total of 689 Banished save files  :-[ ::)

assobanana76

ok.
I deleted all the previous saves except 4 (Test City, New Las Vegans, Skylindsborn and that rescue abnormal).
and that rescue is still abnormal (honestly I don't tried to open it but it is selectable by pointing the arrow on the little image, it surrounds of white).
tonight I try to open it.
Banished currently it opens in 10/15 minutes !!!
the running process fills the RAM to 99%!!

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: assobanana76 on August 10, 2015, 01:08:34 AM
<snip>
How much RAM do you have?  Any activity on your backing store (swap file)?

assobanana76

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on August 10, 2015, 09:02:28 AM
Quote from: assobanana76 on August 10, 2015, 01:08:34 AM
<snip>
How much RAM do you have?  Any activity on your backing store (swap file)?
I have 4Gb (3,25 useable)
swap file what?? :)

rkelly17

This is definitely not right. I've never had Banished use even close to 4Gb. Are you having this problem only with the one save file or with all save files? If it is only this one, the file is damaged and will have to be abandoned. If it is with all your save files I would recommend a re-install of Banished (but be sure to save your mods in a different location). After the re-install of the game re-introduce your mods one at a time to make sure that one of the mod files is not buggy or damaged.

I would also recommend staying away from introducing a new version of a mod to an older saved game. It can work and often does, but when it doesn't work . . . . well, let's just say that trouble can ensue. I start a new town (you can use the map seed of the previous town) every time I update my mods. I also back up towns every time I update mods. A friend calls this the "belt AND suspenders" method.  ;)

The worst case scenario is that the problem is caused by aging hardware. Are you having other problems with other programs on this computer? Have you backed up all your files? I've always found that the day I let my backups get out of date is the day the HDD decides to fail. Back ups are your friend--and in some cases your salvation.

kee

Amen to backups. My computer completely lost its hard drive this spring (it wouldn't map), of course a couple of weeks after last backup. Fortunately my accounting and other buisiness data are mostly remote server based. Had to reconstruct ctop rotation/fertilizer plan othervise it was all there.
As for assobanana76 's trouble I suspect that someone has paid of that savefile. It is corrupt.
Kim Erik

A Nonny Moose

It really sounds like a malloc call gone wild (malloc ::= memory allocation).  A simple loop in code can do this, when it thinks it has failed and tries again and again until the process is scrubbed on memory overflow.

I asked about your swap space (backing store) because on some systems a memory overflow glitch like this will also fill up your backing store with bogus pages all marked "dirty".

This is an operating system kind of screw up, but since there is so much procedure created by modders in this game, it could happen to anyone, any time.  This is why each and every mod needs an intensive test before you accept it.

A Nonny Moose

Ignore this.  Erroneous key click.  Should be deleted.