News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

RK Rise of the Pharaoh Beta 1 testing

Started by irrelevant, August 24, 2019, 07:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkAnthony

Rise of the Pharaoh - Game 2 - Nesse

I already posted the images of the game settings and map and starting area up above. I quickly mentioned to Irrelevant that in this game I will not be building roads. It's seems more realistic to me that there wouldn't be roads in the desert dunes area and as far as I know, Rome hasn't come and changed things for us yet. So no roads this time!

Oddly enough, when I do play my games without roads I actually seem to pre-build stuff more than I normally do. I guess it's just because I want to place things in more scenic and natural ways and in places where the areas don't need to be cleared as much.

A note to you @RedKetchup - I am going with the Hard Alternate start so I have no building materials to start with, less food, little clothes and tools to start with and only one crop seed. So this time I will be relying on the Gatherer and Hunter and Fisher more than before. So I'll keep watch on those this time around, for the Herbalist too.

So before I hit the "play" button here's how I am going to start out.

EDIT: Sorry the text doesn't come out clearly in the second image, it does in the original image but the way it's enlarged/displayed here it's a bit blurry.
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

RedKetchup

THANKS you !

And thanks to all who those has been testing so far. I know it is a Beta 1. The first one. I am gonna work all the week to get Beta 2 so this weekend you will able to play a bit. I still need more input from gatherers... 600-800 food per worker seems a bit too much. Need more tests.

1. I need to repair what i broke yesterday LOL
2. Finish what i started (read comments and fix things)
3. Add some RKEC animals (wild & pastures)
4. Add the first building: Hut House which replace the wood house. Will need Logs and Thatch to build those.
5. Do the Mud Pit. A working place to get Mud for walls and Mud Bricks.
6. Add the 2nd housing: Mud House which is midway between vanilla wood house and vanilla stone house. Will need Mud, Mud Bricks, and maybe somemething else.

I want to believe that i will be able to do all that for Beta 2 :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

MarkAnthony

Looking forward to it Red. I just beg you to please kick some ass on that Blacksmith, wait a pain it is!

So this game, the first building I built was the Blacksmith. I had three fatal-exception errors on it alone. After the third one I was somehow able to get passed it but then I had another issue, that has nothing to do with you.

That darn uneducated kid kept taking the Blacksmith job. I fired him three times but the stubborn fool kept sneaking back in. Each time he got in I would fire them and shut the building down until the next month. Then a new educated person would take the job but that didn't last long because that sucker would sneak in again. So I am hardly getting anything done in the Blacksmith which further escalates the problem because now I won't have the School done in time for the other kids who are about to adult-up! Bah! Frustrating. But yeah, please, please fix this Blacksmith! This is even more urgent than the Hippos! (Can't believe I'm saying that!)  ???

My Fishing Dock is about normal this time, normal expected output for normal expected river access. My first year netted 492 fish with two Fisherman. At first I thought maybe it was low because only one had a home and they had to use the starting Storage Cart to put their fish away in. The house is about 30 tiles away the cart about 20 tiles away. For a brief second after the house next to the Fishing Dock got built one of them moved in there, but then they moved out again and went back to the first house next to the Blacksmith. Now they are both in there and they are still using the Storage Cart. I just finally got the Storage Barn built so I imagine they will start using that but it's just about as far away as the cart is. My output for the second year was 480 fish for two Fisherman so I guess that's going to be "my normal" at least for a while anyhow.

I don't know what the hell happened to my Crop Field!  :'( I was late putting the field down because I forgot I started with a Crop Seed (Cabbage this time). I didn't get the crop field down until August and the season starts in March. So the Cabbage field began March of the second year. This is where I don't understand what happened. That entire year I only managed to get four Cabbage! Four!!! It is an 11x11 Crop Field with one Farmer who incidentally lived in the house right above the field and the Storage cart was near it too. Wow, that was pathetic and thankfully I had a lot of "Wild Food" around to gather.

This is a much more difficult game than my first one mostly because I am playing with a harder start and also a desert and harsh climate option. Only eight adults and one pain-in-the-ass uneducated kid.

I don't have a Gatherers Hut yet but will definitely need to get one built ASAP the next time I log in to play. I need a nap now, lest I borrow @moonbelf 's blaster gun and blow that kid away!  :o :P I think I will build a Hunter's Lodge too because if I can't grow Cabbage then I'm gonna need back up! Only thing is I got no one to man those jobs when I do get them. I already have the Blacksmith and Wood Cutter shut down as it is.

From where I sit it sure does seem like school is a long ways off, and I really had high-hopes of getting my Trade Post up and running early like Irrelevant and Moonbelf seems to be able to do, but I don't think that's gonna happen, not while that punk kid keeps hangin' 'round!  We used to tell bratty kids to "Go play in traffic!!!" I'd tell this one to "Go pet a Hippopotamus!" but well... we don't have thoossssse!!!    ::) :D

The first image below shows the locations of work to home and work to storage, the second image is just my progress so far at the time of logging off for a nap!

RedKetchup

thats normal. if you past spring for your crop, it will only plant next spring. the time limit is last second of Late Spring.

irrelevant

I thought I did comment, but I will again.

The gatherer is very much like the gatherer in RKEC, cranks out huge amounts of food. I did miss the bonus of getting oats for grain. The only problem with the gatherer is how to store all the food. At first I thought there were too many juniper berries, but since that seems to be the only fruit available, better too many than not enough.

As for the forester, it's hard to say without being able to see more than three items on the production panel. Many years I could not see logs or fodder/thatch, which are the most important things. But once you have a couple of foresters with filled-out circles, you will have no trouble building a nice inventory of logs, especially with all the fodder/thatch that you can turn into firewood. Firewood consumption is extremely low, so you can put half of your inventory into TP.

I'm very happy with both the forester and the gatherer. I did not build an herbalist, but I did harvest considerable amounts of herbs manually for trade. The density of the herbs seems about right. 

irrelevant

Quote from: MarkAnthony on August 26, 2019, 01:40:33 PM
I don't know what the hell happened to my Crop Field!  :'( I was late putting the field down because I forgot I started with a Crop Seed (Cabbage this time). I didn't get the crop field down until August and the season starts in March. So the Cabbage field began March of the second year. This is where I don't understand what happened. That entire year I only managed to get four Cabbage! Four!!! It is an 11x11 Crop Field with one Farmer who incidentally lived in the house right above the field and the Storage cart was near it too. Wow, that was pathetic and thankfully I had a lot of "Wild Food" around to gather.

You need much larger fields for this mod. It's counter-intuitive, but it is so hot and dry in the summer that your crops will not grow at all. Cabbage is especially bad, it will grow only between 45F and 85F. Beans will grow between 40F and 90F. If you look at the temperature display, you'll see that the temp is over 90F almost the entire summer. Field crops in this climate only really start to grow after the harvest begins. On the other hand, the growing season (autumn into winter with cooler weather and rain) will last well into winter before it gets cold enough to stop them growing. So you have a very large field, write off the first 30-50% that gets harvested as it will be stunted, but the rest of the field should produce pretty well. I was regularly getting 1000 beans with a single farmer on a 13x14 field. But your 11X11 cabbage field was fully-harvested before it really had a chance to get started growing.

Now @RedKetchup is crafty enough to make some specialized crops for this climate that will render this advice moot. But for now, that's the way it works.

Here's how crops grow. Assuming you are within the crop's temperature range, the crop will have a spurt of growth of maybe 15-20% yield during a period of sun following a period of rain. No rain, no growth spurt. The spurt will eventually slow and die down to very slow yield growth, unless you get more rain, then it will take off again when the sun comes out. You should watch your field crops grow sometime (on a temperate map), how the yield responds to temperature, rain, and sun. It's surprising.

irrelevant

Despite all the challenges in getting started, now it's just like any other Banished village with everyone running around naked.

RedKetchup

Progression !!  ;D

Quote from: RedKetchup on August 26, 2019, 12:05:38 PM

1. I need to repair what i broke yesterday LOL - Fixed
2. Finish what i started (read comments and fix things)
3. Add some RKEC animals (wild & pastures) - Done
4. Add the first building: Hut House which replace the wood house. Will need Logs and Thatch to build those.
5. Do the Mud Pit. A working place to get Mud for walls and Mud Bricks.
6. Add the 2nd housing: Mud House which is midway between vanilla wood house and vanilla stone house. Will need Mud, Mud Bricks, and maybe somemething else.

I want to believe that i will be able to do all that for Beta 2 :)

irrelevant

Wild boars! Now that's what I'm talking about.

What did you break yesterday?

moonbelf

Wild boars! Sweet!

Gatherer is VERY proficient, even starting with just one. Add another in a couple years and they produce a bumper crop of so much stuff. Hunter is lackadaisical and very so/so on what they get. Herbalist with only 1 isn't producing very much, even bumping to 2 or 3 is not much better. This is in the Red Desert starting area.

RedKetchup

Quote from: irrelevant on August 26, 2019, 04:26:13 PM

What did you break yesterday?
was trying to change iron to bronze.... there was 1 place it was refusing to change icon and name.... i tried to do a lot of things.... and bad things LOL

i simply added all the RKEC animals to ROTP in wait it has its own animal world.

MarkAnthony

Quote from: RedKetchup on August 26, 2019, 03:16:58 PM
thats normal. if you past spring for your crop, it will only plant next spring. the time limit is last second of Late Spring.
I know this Red, I missed the opportunity to plant in year one since I laid the crop field in August of year one. So year two is the year my crop should have been planted and harvested. My screenshot showed I was in year three with the results of the entire year two as 4 Cabbage.

I'll try and do as Irrelevant suggested and make a larger field and see if that helps. @irrelevant I should then increase my number of Farmers to two per field then right, I assume that's what you did?

How soon did you get your School up and running? Did you have issues with uneducated taking the Blacksmith job and if so, what did you do - just ignore it? I'm thinking that's what I am going to have to do, ignore it and deal with the fact that my ore and bars will be even more precious now than the last game since they're being wasted away.

Quote from: irrelevant on August 26, 2019, 04:19:13 PM
Despite all the challenges in getting started, now it's just like any other Banished village with everyone running around naked.
Are you still having Tailor issues?

MarkAnthony

Quote from: moonbelf on August 26, 2019, 04:38:46 PMWild boars! Sweet!
ROFL!  ;D   You guys see Wild Boars, I see teeny-tiny Hippos!   :P

Let your imagination run wild!

Oh and Red, if you ever do make Hippos, can you make it so that when they are slaughtered they are of the pork-variety?! I can't help but drool dream about a huge slab of bacon!

Bacon is life!   8)

moonbelf

Hippo bacon?? Why? hahahaha .. smoke those boars!! :P

@RedKetchup here's a screenshot of gatherer and herbalist. As you can see even with few bannies assigned they still produce lots. Hunter not so good at all rather bad actually.

I still don't have a tailor. The trader has been mostly useless up to now. Incredibly bad RNG. So all my peeps are naked too. It'd be funny if they actually were lol.

RedKetchup

bah seems not that bad. a bit high but not much. maybe if i nerf the ones that show more often than the others... it will just make it. ^^