News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

[Beta] Tree Of Life

Started by Darkbibou, March 12, 2015, 01:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkbibou

TreeOfLife first public beta is now available on Banished Info :)

Quote from: chillzz on April 03, 2015, 03:37:26 PM
Quote from: Darkbibou on April 03, 2015, 01:27:42 PM
Quick question:
Do you think that the forester needs to be able to plant any kind of tree ?

short answer : yes
long answer : yes, but only if fruits of that kind is gathered beforehand. (if possible)
so not able to plant fruit trees, gather apples..   able to plant apple trees. etc .

This is not possible to add a seed selection button on the forester building (actually its possible to display the button but it will not be used by the game) :(
It's also impossible to make an element of the map spawn seeds (and that's too bad)...

So, it's either all kind of trees or just the standard trees at the forester :S

chillzz

hmmm so it's not even possible to acquire them by faking a merchant buy?
i.e. found wild apples, add 1 apple seed to inventory.

one would think that since debug menu can add it too, it would be available in the code.
either trader/merchant or something else..   then again, debug menu is all or nothing now i think of it.

hmmm.. is there a possibility to have foresters plant random trees and fruit trees?
i believe the foresters plants  the 3 basic sorts (at random) so adding the fruit trees do give more variety.. as long as they don't overpower (in one sort)  it should be a cool option yeah :)
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

Darkbibou

I'll make some more tests about it on monday when I'll get back home :)

chillzz

* If * and only if it's possible via the merchant hack.. i.e.  catch fruit,  fake merchant buy seed,  make available to plant, one could use the same system for catching animals :O

Darkbibou

I don't know if it's possible to emulate a merchant buy. I believe that this part of the code is not included in the modkit but I will need to check.

Concerning the debug menu, Luke has never published a modkit that contains the code related to it. All we can do is call this debug window and it seems to be all :(

A small question to you guys: should I use the "food" limit instead of the "clothes" limit for the tannery as I was asked on Banished Info ?

RedKetchup

should be. the hunter lodge is based on food limit and doesnt count the # of leather.

are you obligated to put a limit ? i mean to assign to a specific limit ? cant let it limitless ? (i often asked myself that question lately^^)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Paeng

Quote from: Darkbibou on April 06, 2015, 02:42:18 PMshould I use the "food" limit instead of the "clothes" limit for the tannery?

Well, I can really only offer an opinion - personally I prefer it when such things are tied to the "Food" flag - simply for the reason that the "Food Limit" is always way up there, while other limits we may want to control a bit more to avoid over-production... It's true that the food flag starts to feel "abused", but that stupid limit on available flags kinda forces your hand...  >:(

* Best example is the "Log Limit" - I hate it when other things are tied to that, because I usually try to cut as few logs as possible... which is impossible to maintain when so many other (not Log-related) things quickly halt production because their limit is reached...  :-\
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

chillzz

Quote from: Darkbibou on April 06, 2015, 02:42:18 PM
I don't know if it's possible to emulate a merchant buy. I believe that this part of the code is not included in the modkit but I will need to check.
Just a brainfart :  What about part of the code for orchards? orchard can only be planted *if* seed is acquired. so if player buys apple seeds, forrester can plant wild apple trees.

Quote from: Darkbibou on April 06, 2015, 02:42:18 PM
A small question to you guys: should I use the "food" limit instead of the "clothes" limit for the tannery as I was asked on Banished Info ?
between those two options : i'd go for food.. usually players tend to have food production limit on 99999, while clothes limit is usually much lower. Depending if the output of tannery is counted as clothes (which i believe it isn't) the tannery would work endlessly for leather ..  a good thing!

and as @RedKetchup mentioned.. does it need a limit?  if not, why even bother with a limit.
A player can stop work anytime if the citizen is needed for other jobs.

Quote from: Paeng on April 06, 2015, 03:03:57 PM
Quote from: Darkbibou on April 06, 2015, 02:42:18 PMshould I use the "food" limit instead of the "clothes" limit for the tannery?

Well, I can really only offer an opinion - personally I prefer it when such things are tied to the "Food" flag - simply for the reason that the "Food Limit" is always way up there, while other limits we may want to control a bit more to avoid over-production... It's true that the food flag starts to feel "abused", but that stupid limit on available flags kinda forces your hand...  >:(

* Best example is the "Log Limit" - I hate it when other things are tied to that, because I usually try to cut as few logs as possible... which is impossible to maintain when so many other (not Log-related) things quickly halt production because their limit is reached...  :-\
wasn't there a mod that has 'seedlings' ;) tied to logs?

Darkbibou

@RedKetchup: Hmm, good question. I will try to look at it during the week if I'm not too busy IRL :)

@chillzz: I've tried to add a selection button (like the one available on the orchard/cropfield) on the forester and either I've done something wrong or the game simply ignore it :(

@All: The tannery produce leather which is a textile but as there is no textile limit I think that any limit might be fine.

However, I believe that the majority of people doesn't overproduce food and therefore that the food limit might be better than clothes.

assobanana76

stupid question:
why do not you also included bison , llamas and pigs ?
matter of copyright with Black Liquid ?  :-\
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Darkbibou

Quote from: assobanana76 on April 07, 2015, 03:18:18 AM
stupid question:
why do not you also included bison , llamas and pigs ?
matter of copyright with Black Liquid ?  :-\

I'm not a member of the BlackLiquid team so I don't have the source code :)

In addition, I need to reduce the number of generated animals before adding new ones or else modest computers will burn ^^

chillzz

Quote from: Darkbibou on April 07, 2015, 12:23:39 AM
@chillzz: I've tried to add a selection button (like the one available on the orchard/cropfield) on the forester and either I've done something wrong or the game simply ignore it :(
well, if it isn't possible too bad.. but at least you've tried.

purringcat

Really love your mod.    It gives a nice boost to starting meat and animal skins.    I used to skip the hunter because his stats were so low.   
Also fun to see the animals wandering around the town.   When the animals disappear from the map (in the hunter's circle), does that mean
they're hunted to extinction?       

Idle Work Team

Really love your mod,I want to get the TreeOfLifeStingTable.rsc file from you so that I can translate it into Chinese to let more Chinese people use your MOD!

Darkbibou

Quote from: purringcat on April 10, 2015, 09:46:10 AM
Really love your mod.    It gives a nice boost to starting meat and animal skins.    I used to skip the hunter because his stats were so low.   
Also fun to see the animals wandering around the town.   When the animals disappear from the map (in the hunter's circle), does that mean
they're hunted to extinction?       

I'm glad that you like it :)

Animal moves so they can leave the hunting area of a given hunting cabin.

It does not necessarily mean that they have all been killed.

Quote from: 740483071 on April 11, 2015, 02:47:34 AM
Really love your mod,I want to get the TreeOfLifeStingTable.rsc file from you so that I can translate it into Chinese to let more Chinese people use your MOD!

I will send you a download link by private message :)