Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

[Beta] Tree Of Life

Started by Darkbibou, March 12, 2015, 01:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkbibou

Quote from: chillzz on April 26, 2015, 02:50:51 PM
Quote from: Darkbibou on April 26, 2015, 02:16:20 PM
I'll give it a try but I think that it would be strange to create wild crops that can survive the winter.
they'll weather (die) in winter..   return on same place, or somewhere further ..

http://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/291-Pesky-Produce

They come back in the summer because they restart from the crop field.

If I make wild crops, they will all die in winter and they will never come back.

I'll test it though.

Quote from: Gatherer on April 26, 2015, 02:55:04 PM
Is it possible to include wild bees?

I can't include bees, but I can include forest hives that can produce forest honey.

Does that sound good ?

assobanana76

@Darkbibou

what a nice view !!
I do not thank you never enough !!

if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

chillzz

Quote from: Darkbibou on April 27, 2015, 12:25:42 AM
If I make wild crops, they will all die in winter and they will never come back.
I'll test it though.

The functionality of (re)seeding from orchard/cropfield does fit your Tree of Life theme, maybe it's possible to include this.
This can work for pasture animals too i guess.

support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

Darkbibou

Quote from: chillzz on April 27, 2015, 04:37:29 AM
Quote from: Darkbibou on April 27, 2015, 12:25:42 AM
I'll test it though.

The functionality of (re)seeding from orchard/cropfield does fit your Tree of Life theme, maybe it's possible to include this.

Oh, you mean totally include PeskyResources into ToL ?

Owl didn't sent me the source code of this mod but I think that its just allowig the crops to reseed.

Quote from: chillzz on April 27, 2015, 04:37:29 AMThis can work for pasture animals too i guess.

I don't think so because you can't create living animals with the modkit.

Even the debug menu can't create animals outside of a pasture.

chillzz

Quote from: Darkbibou on April 27, 2015, 07:39:50 AM
Oh, you mean totally include PeskyResources into ToL ?
Yes and no.  Basic crops in the wild would be a great addition to ToL, especially if they can re appear after winter
But the reseeding from orchard/cropfield or any other patch of crop on the map,
would be nice too, as nature was working before humans interfered too much.

So if Owlchemist and you are liking the functionality in ToL i'm all for it!
Especially if it's less crash-prone then pesky-produce alone.

Quote from: Darkbibou on April 27, 2015, 07:39:50 AM
I don't think so because you can't create living animals with the modkit.
Even the debug menu can't create animals outside of a pasture.
the debug menu can't add orchard/cropfield items either, just enable all seeds.
Thought it would be fun to have husbandry animals escape and roam free.. just like the wild crops 'escaping' the field.
If it's not possible, too bad, will still play with this mod, because lets face it... it's awsome!

I think i really should dig into the modkit before i post my ideas ;)

Darkbibou

I will make some test about this ideas during my holidays in may :)

I switch the subject but I'm currently working on the integration of the "Old Growth Forests" and "Mountains trees" (From Owlchemist mods) into ToL and I need your opinion.

Do you want:
1) Old forests constituted of Pine only (like in Owl original mod)
2) Different types of Old forest but with only one type of tree by forest (Possible trees are: Pine, Birch, Oak, Maple, Buckeye, White mulberry, Copper beech)
3) Old forests constituted of a mix of trees (might be hard to spot on the map even if the ancient trees are taller)

chillzz

Quote from: Darkbibou on April 27, 2015, 09:02:13 AM
I will make some test about this ideas during my holidays in may :)
Will wait in anticipation :)  maybe it's easier to wait for v2 with full translation.

Quote from: Darkbibou on April 27, 2015, 09:02:13 AM
I switch the subject but I'm currently working on the integration of the "Old Growth Forests" and "Mountains trees" (From Owlchemist mods) into ToL and I need your opinion.

Do you want:
1) Old forests constituted of Pine only (like in Owl original mod)
2) Different types of Old forest but with only one type of tree by forest (Possible trees are: Pine, Birch, Oak, Maple, Buckeye, White mulberry, Copper beech)
3) Old forests constituted of a mix of trees (might be hard to spot on the map even if the ancient trees are taller)
Never played/tested those two mods, but sounds interesting. To me, mountain trees are by default pine, since thats the only type of trees on high altitudes. so for those areas : absolutely pine.

but old forests can actually be any type of tree, depending on altitude, region, climate etc. so with these 3 options, i would pick 2 : Old forest with one type, but different patches of old forest scattered around the map.
i assume within old forest (dominant), there will be regular mixed forest trees (younger) as well.

Bobbi

Number two, I think. Number three would look pretty, but you are right that it would make old forests difficult to identify.

rkelly17

@Darkbibou, to my mind the most realistic option would be total old growth mixed forests in the beginning, but I suppose this isn't possible in a mod. The old growth gets replaced by younger trees as the foresters cut and plant.

Darkbibou

Hello everyone !

Just a few words to tell you that I'm not at home this week and that therefore I will not be able to work on the V2.0...

However, I'll be on holiday next week and I will have time for some modding :D

See you next week :)

Darkbibou

Hi there !

I'm been busy working on the version 2.0 and I think that it's time to release a first beta and ask for your opinion :D

TreeOfLife - Version 2.0 - Beta 1 can be downloaded on my Google drive or on the forum

Changelog:
- The minimum and maximum size of the wild animal herds have been reduced to avoid the lag on modest hardware configurations
- The limit used for the tannery building is now the food limit (less realistic but less restrictive tant the clothes limit)
- Adding of decorative and immortal mountain pines
- Adding of new standard trees: buckeye, maple, copperbeech, white mulberry (the 3D models are courtesy of the BlackLiquid team (Thanks for sharing guys !))
- Adding of five new wild fruit trees: Apricot, Fig, Olive, Quince and Red mulberries (the 3D models are courtesy of the BlackLiquid team (Thanks for sharing guys !))
- Adding of ancient trees and ancient resources (based on the concept developed by @Owlchemist for its "Beautiful World" mod (Thanks for the source code sharing @Owlchemist))

About ancient resources:
- They only appears around ancient trees
- They can reseed by themselves
- Their spawn rates are higner than the standard resources spawn rates

About ancient trees:
- They are not really immortal because immortal trees can't spawn resources but they can live a very looooong life (up to 2 millennium if I set the number correctly)
- They should give a normal amount of log when cut but I haven't checked it yet
- They don't reproduce like normal trees or fruit trees
- They are scattered all over the map (like the fruit trees but with possibly smaller cluster size)
- There is 6 type of ancient "forests"

About ancient forests:
- Ancient Pine can only spawn ancient mushrooms
- Ancient CopperBeech can only spawn ancient onions
- Ancient Maple can only spawn ancient roots
- Ancient White mulberry can only spawn ancient berries
- Ancient Buckeye can only spawn ancient herbs
- Ancient Oak + Birch (ie its a mix forest) can spawn all type of ancient resources (The first spawn seems to be biased toward mushrooms. I don't really know why..)

With this new ToL version there is now A LOT of wild resources on the map and its becoming a nightmare to balance everything !  :evil:
So.. I need your help on that matter guys :D

Can you please tell me:
- If the amount of wild animals is ok (does they tend to dissapear or does there number remains ok when you hunt them ?)
- If you like the current implementation of the ancient tree forests
- If the amount of ancient tree is ok
- if the ancient resources are not too overpowered (pretty hard to see during short debugging tests)
- if the ancient resources does not grow too far from their ancient trees on untouched areas)

Please, also tell me if you find any bug during your tests ^^

Thank you in advance for your feedbacks ! :D

rkelly17

@Darkbibou, a question. Does "Tree of Life" alter the map-generating script? That is, would Tree of Life be compatible with any of the mods that give more options for map types?

Another question: Have you though about grouping the trees, etc. in "climate-appropriate" groupings? I'm quite interested in the mod, but I really don't want olive trees popping up in Northern forests where it is just too cold for them. I would love old growth, but I like my forest to look natural. That's just my own personal taste, of course. You need to do your mod to suit your taste.

Darkbibou

Quote from: rkelly17 on May 15, 2015, 09:13:51 AM
@Darkbibou, a question. Does "Tree of Life" alter the map-generating script? That is, would Tree of Life be compatible with any of the mods that give more options for map types?

Yes, most of ToL content is generated during the creation of the world map.

ToL impact is only limited to the "Starting conditions" drop-down menu of the new map creation window though.

Therefore you can't have the content of "CC Normal+" or "CC Missionary" or "Beautiful World" on the same map/city than ToL content.

However, you can perfectly use any type of "Climate", "Terrain type" and "Terrain size" and ToL at the same time (You can for example use a giant plain map and have ToL wild fruit trees and wild animals on it).

Quote from: rkelly17 on May 15, 2015, 09:13:51 AM
Another question: Have you though about grouping the trees, etc. in "climate-appropriate" groupings? I'm quite interested in the mod, but I really don't want olive trees popping up in Northern forests where it is just too cold for them. I would love old growth, but I like my forest to look natural. That's just my own personal taste, of course. You need to do your mod to suit your taste.

ToL does not include specific climates or terrain types since it is independent of any other mods. As a consequence, I can't really adapt ToL content to specific climates (that are most likely added by other mods).

The only thing I can do to address your problem is to add new starting conditions.

For example, we can imagine a "[ToL] *** (Northern fruit trees)" starting conditions (but nothing will prevent the player to select this starting condition with a desert climate though ^^).

The problem is that there is already 16 different starting conditions in ToL (4 types of content (basegame, wild animal + tree, animal only, tree only) X 4 difficulties).

If you want new one please define them here ;)

rkelly17

Don't do extra work just to please me! The choice at start up does sound nice, though.

I asked about the other map mods because I've been using one of the early mods that gives flatter maps and was wondering whether that would be compatible with ToL. Thank you for responding.

Darkbibou

Any feedback on the V 2.0 ? :)