News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Citizens AI still unmoddable ?

Started by Petit Flo, December 17, 2023, 02:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petit Flo

Hello there ! I'm new to the forum !

I saw on an old 2014 post that citizens AI apparently wouldn't be moddable, is it still the case ? :'(
I wanted to do things like forbid to make children between siblings, add a bit of backstory for each citizen, etc..

scoutae4

Hello @Petit Flo, welcome! I don't know about the backstory bit (maybe?) but I'm pretty sure most citizen stuff is not accessible. Too bad. If so, I would love to create a group home for widowed elders!

Petit Flo

Hello !
Sorry for my late reply, with holidays and work i've been away from the computer..

I did some research though, and in deed they are not moddable, for various reason, there's a quote from the devlog article written by Luke (link below)

"As I wasn't thinking about modding when I started coding Banished, there are some things the modkit won't be able to do. You won't be able to change behaviors or add new ones, and you can't make new UI behaviors. You can't make soldiers that fight off packs of wolves or change the AI of the people, or change the deer simulation. All that is in C++ code, and at the moment I don't have a good way to allow plug-ins with new code to extend the functionality. This is something I'm considering, but I haven't really examined the effort or implications this sort of code change would require."

I've seen in more recent article that it still was the case, and even if it wasn't, there are things i didn't take in consideration.
For exemple, if you add a psychology system to make people fall in love, it would then conflict with the way they choose their home, and even if you achieve to override Luke's expectation for folks to select their home, town would be way less efficient since their AI is really tailored according to their job location.
People will live together only because they are in ages to be together and their work location are both close to home.

But i guess it would be alright in a little town, which i would love to make ^^
I mean the goal in adding to the AI is also to get to know your citizen better and care about them, not to make a big town, in a Rimworld style i guess :)

Oh and happy new year !

Link to the article : https://shiningrocksoftware.com/2014-01-28-controllers-ports-mods-and-languages/