Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BETA: New Medieval Town : v0.4 with Cathedral Wonder

Started by RedKetchup, February 26, 2015, 05:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chon Waen

Gatherer

Brilliant stuff Red!!!

Is it possible to include that tower also as a standalone structure in your mod? With a door and just for eye candy purposes?
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

RedKetchup

thanks you @rkelly17  , @Bobbi  , @Chon Waen  and @Gatherer  :)

there willl certainly have alot of gables around, Bobbi, i have 6 models to do :)
i will do more than just that with this tower, Gatherer :) it will be part of a new wall / tower system set :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Bobbi

chillzz

Wow! génial! Awsome work Red!
Quote from: RedKetchup on March 09, 2015, 04:26:28 PM
it will be part of a new wall / tower system set :)
8) Oh man!
medieval walls and towers... great to build real medieval fortified cities like Carcasonne, Edinburgh and escape Loevestein castle like Grotius ;)
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

RedKetchup

i will use the same texture as my house stone walls. i dunno if i ll do a castle, maybe just parts and people will make their own castle as they want. the house tower can maybe be a part of it :)

will be kinda a modular castle and you do your own castle as you wish ^^

assobanana76

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 09, 2015, 09:16:48 PM
i will use the same texture as my house stone walls. i dunno if i ll do a castle, maybe just parts and people will make their own castle as they want. the house tower can maybe be a part of it :)

oh yeaahhhhh !!  :P
set Mathiueso is going to go in the attic!  ;D
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Gatherer

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 09, 2015, 09:16:48 PMwill be kinda a modular castle and you do your own castle as you wish

Yeah, that's smart... A "full" castle you build once, and then it's boring... while small modules you can use again and again, in a thousand different configurations.

As for textures - well, you know my mind a little bit by now... sooner or later you may introduce some variety there, too  ;D
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

RedKetchup

tonight i spent 4 hrs lol. not on something big, just little details ^^ i had to do it anyways at some point :)

i had 2 models of 1st floor which had some windows in the back that were cut off by the new back tower. so i had to fix that. in same time i ve edited all 6 models in first floor (i had to edit 2 anyways) and i ve had to fix all the roof with real 'front panel' roof like i did last models of 2nd floors (and the 3rd floor).

the little screenshot show well about the roof facings i am talking about (showing and pointing by the green arrows)

none of the 1st floor had those, and I still have to do the same for 4 of the 6 second floor models.

little details sometimes can take alot of time IMO.

RedKetchup

after that i made a pause for today, but i am still trying to think and try to find a way to optimize my models and reduce like crazy the number of polygons total the meshes have.

without losing too much details i think i can save alot just with my walls.
if you always read what i wrote, you should know i do my models like with lego blocks models. piece by piece of 1x1 tiles. so a wall of 2x4 tiles long is made of 8 blocks of 1x1. and they are made like a cube, a box.
As you know , each box have 6-sides (like a dice) and before it is converted in .fbx, the program divide each side into 2 triangles. So a 1x1 block wall has 12 triangles.
it is called 12 polygons. the total of polygons in a mesh equal the number of triangles total the mesh contains for everything.

so a wall made of 2x4 tiles has 8 blocks , so 8 blocks multiplied by 12 polygons each => 96 polygons total for the wall.

and if instead to use ONE wall 2x4 tiles long, the entire wall would have only 12 polygons instead of 96 ! it is only 12.5% ! i save and delete 87.5% of all the wall polygons! thats a huge %.

i used a 256x256 png for my texture of brick wall.
if without losing too much detail i do a texture containing 2x4 tiles.... (2x4 copy paste side by side) and i resize everything back even lower than it was ..... (a 256x128 png) I obtain almost same quality with a little bit of smoothing between the blocks.

so instead to use a texture of 76.2 kb (256x256) i use a texture of 19.7kb (128x256) at the end, multiplied by thousands of time.... i can optimize and save alot !

My New Medieval Town mod has 78,3 Mb so far. it is starting to be huge ! and will probably end up with a 250MB Mod like CC:EA even more lol

----------------

So i not necessarily working on the mod but .... as personal experiments and personal tweaks as a modler , I am trying to learn to be more efficient as modler ^^

----------------

and if i am trying to experiment it is because some people told me with their low computer, they have very hard to play Banished with my mod :P they have the impression they lag very much more. personally i dont see any difference, but i can understand that.

-----------------

EDIT: Tell me if you see alot of difference in this screenshot :)

chillzz

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 09, 2015, 09:16:48 PM
... i dunno if i ll do a castle, maybe just parts and people will make their own castle as they want. the house tower can maybe be a part of it :)

that was exactly what i was thinking when you said it would be a wall / tower set :D
Yay!

Quote from: assobanana76 on March 10, 2015, 01:33:59 AM
oh yeaahhhhh !!  :P
set Mathiueso is going to go in the attic!  ;D
Lol my thoughts exactly.. actually : i only have RedKetchup mods in the latest cities. I've banned fountain mod and CC a while back !

Quote from: Paeng on March 10, 2015, 06:14:51 AM
Yeah, that's smart... A "full" castle you build once, and then it's boring... while small modules you can use again and again, in a thousand different configurations.
Yeah the 'castle' from fountain is like that... it becomes boring real quick.

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 10, 2015, 07:35:09 AM

Looks good to me! the less polygons and textures the better! even on big and fast computers banished will eventually become sluggish due to the hugh amounts of calculations and drawing.. the more you can save the better :D
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

Gordon Dry

RedKetchup

my stucco wall png is : 256x256 and has 158kb
and my roof is : 512x512 and has 360kb

and specially if i do my roof in just 1 piece, i would also eliminate the graphic gliches we see sometimes when it is snowing in the game on certain roofs. ( i also saw some graphic gliches on stucco walls in the Paeng's screenshots )  :-\

Vulgarian

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 10, 2015, 07:35:09 AM

I don't see any difference, aside from the fact that you're using a single object for the entire wall rather than 8 separate ones. :D In terms of quality, I don't see any difference.