News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BETA: New Medieval Town : v0.4 with Cathedral Wonder

Started by RedKetchup, February 26, 2015, 05:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gatherer

I've recently downloaded CC:EA and am now a bit afraid to start a new game with it + RK's mods. I only wanted CC:EA for the small vendor stalls but the whole industry that comes along is huge.

Any chance of RK style small vendor stalls ever seeing the light of day? Capable of fitting nicely under the 2nd story house?
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Gatherer

I am also against introducing way too much items in the game if they serve no real purpose. It should be kept simple and to the point. Even with just the canned products there is an overflow of items, different canned fruits, meat. That's already 2 dozen items on the list.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Nilla

Quote from: Bobbi on March 10, 2015, 08:24:11 PM
I think I get what you are saying. I like production chains, they add complexity. Within reason. But it would be nice if they were optional, choose to add production chains or not. One of my things is that I do not like the addition of all kinds of extra foods and such that serve no additional purpose except to expand the crazy number of items listed in the game. Cherry pie AND apple pie AND blueberry muffins AND plum pudding AND the list goes on.   :o Why? They serve no purpose, unless they combine two nutritional needs. Or more trade value. But even so, do we really need so many? But clearly, this is just MY opinion. Everyone else keeps asking for more and more products on the menu. I used to try to play as minimized game as possible, one fruit, one grain, one veg, one protein, just so that I wouldn't have to keep track of so much stuff in my markets. If you never buy nor produce something, it never shows up on the list. Now I just give up and deal with the fact that I'm going to have to keep track of five billion products.
OK, my rant is over.   :-X  And like I said, apparently I am pretty much alone in this opinion.  :'(  ;D

No, no you're not alone. I fully agree! Some more diversity than original is OK and also some alternative trade products to ale and firewood, but not too much.

chillzz

I think I get what you are saying. I like production chains, they add complexity. Within reason. But it would be nice if they were optional, choose to add production chains or not. One of my things is that I do not like the addition of all kinds of extra foods and such that serve no additional purpose except to expand the crazy number of items listed in the game. Cherry pie AND apple pie AND blueberry muffins AND plum pudding AND the list goes on.   :o Why? They serve no purpose, unless they combine two nutritional needs. Or more trade value. But even so, do we really need so many? But clearly, this is just MY opinion. Everyone else keeps asking for more and more products on the menu. I used to try to play as minimized game as possible, one fruit, one grain, one veg, one protein, just so that I wouldn't have to keep track of so much stuff in my markets. If you never buy nor produce something, it never shows up on the list. Now I just give up and deal with the fact that I'm going to have to keep track of five billion products.
OK, my rant is over.   :-X  And like I said, apparently I am pretty much alone in this opinion.  :'(  ;D
definitely not the only one thinking that. i play the same way, although i have at least 2 fruits, 2 protein etc. if one crop fails due to bad weather, infestation and the likes, i always have the other.
Usually take the seedlings for trading instead of the firewood, just one of the baked goods to sell for cheaper foods.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

assobanana76

Red , but if it's all a matter of square , why do not match perfectly?  :-\

if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

rkelly17

Rant away, @Bobbi. I usually end up planting all of the vanilla fruits and vegetables, but mainly so my farms look pretty. Even though chickens a re superfluous I also usually have at least one chicken ranch because, after all, what is an agricultural community without some chickens. So far I haven't added any new crops except for honey when I can't get traders to bring grains, even new crops by my favorite modder.  ;D

Speaking of my favorite modder, @RedKetchup, you seem to have invented houseboats for Banished! What a great idea. If you actually release these in some form we can now make use of lake space that has been going to waste. We could even combine these with some of @Paeng's ideas for fishing wharves using "Flatten Terrain" and make the lakes truly useful. Brilliant!

RedKetchup

Quote from: assobanana76 on March 11, 2015, 07:57:16 AM
Red , but if it's all a matter of square , why do not match perfectly?  :-\

cause all whole models are kinda just a little some millimeters too much to the back. not easy to put it right in the middle if after later in game you rotate it from north-south to south-north
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Bobbi

Glad to see I am not alone, after all. I do actually like the CC mod, but I do wish it was broken into parts. I guess that would probably be difficult to do. As is, they have a lot of stuff I just don't use. Like 20000 different crops, and people asking for even more, such as pineapple and banana, because that stuff grows so well in the snow.  ;) I only buy seeds that are needed for different production chains if I am using them, and skip the rest. The vendor stalls are really cool.
My favorite modder is still @RedKetchup, of course (shameless suck up)  ;D

RedKetchup

RedKetchup

well.... i just took time to optimise my flowers :)

in the screenshot , to the left : Old flowers with 8238 polygons

every first floor models had like 2,3, even 4 of these 8238 polygons flowers.

NOW:
in the screenshot, to the right : New flowers with only 2882 polygons

i took 2 hrs to draw new bacs of flowers, leaf by leaf (I took 1 leaf, i optimized it and deleted lot of forms in it and kept 17 polygons only, and then i copy pasted it like 25 times, rotating them modifying a bit their forms.... and then i did same for the flowers)
Not only it has more leaves, more flowers more spreadout..... i reduced and saved 65% of polygons and triangles (34.98421...% of the original)

imagine when a model that had 3 flowers like that : 24,714 polygons in just flowers ^^
now 3 flowers will result in just 8646 polygons. that it way more acceptable :)

EDIT: I need to do the barrel of flowers now :)

Chon Waen

I really see what your point of view is now, as well.
Truthfully, I believe the stock foods are enough overall with the possible exception of classifying potatoes with the grains, since there are loads of other veggies and only 2 stock grains.

That being said, when I was thinking of 2nd tier food production, I truthfully was annoyed when folks started on with sauerkraut and such. I was thinking more on the lines of no more than 2-3 new food resources being made from any given building, preferably 1-2.  An example: Drying Shed- Apples make "dried fruit", Cherries make "dried fruit". Peaches make, you guessed it, "dried fruit"
Likewise a smokehouse would make "jerky" whether you used beef, mutton, venison, or (blech) chicken.

I do think that further splitting the industrial resource adding buildings from food resource adding buildings would probably be a good idea.  The difficulty will be doing this in such a way as to keep new industries from being a requirement for new foods and vice/versa.

One of the CC:ea bits that come to mind is candles(industry) requiring beeswax(food).
Now if that same beeswax was a component for sealing "pickles"(food) it will work with the divide.
Use of any vanilla resources would be fine with either.

Bobbi

QuoteThat being said, when I was thinking of 2nd tier food production, I truthfully was annoyed when folks started on with sauerkraut and such. I was thinking more on the lines of no more than 2-3 new food resources being made from any given building, preferably 1-2.  An example: Drying Shed- Apples make "dried fruit", Cherries make "dried fruit". Peaches make, you guessed it, "dried fruit"
Likewise a smokehouse would make "jerky" whether you used beef, mutton, venison, or (blech) chicken.

Yes, keep it Banished style, where all fruits (and wheat) make one product, Ale. So, all fruits make Pie, all vegetables make "Canned vegetables" etc. Works for me. And I have no idea why anyone would feel compelled to have sauerkraut in the game.
I support the notion that mods that add new "resources" from those that don't. For instance, @RedKetchup's second story houses for blacksmith, tavern, tailor and hunter just improve upon the Banished originals, while bakery, windmill, and watermill add products. Mind you, I would download them anyway, but they could be separate for those that do not want to add new products. The new apothecary would just be an in town herbalist, with the same profession, and the clinic would just be a small hospital with same doctor.  ;D

@RedKetchup, the lower poly flowers look great. My computer would be one of those that slows to a crawl if I get close to 1000 people.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Bobbi on March 11, 2015, 04:17:59 PM

@RedKetchup, the lower poly flowers look great. My computer would be one of those that slows to a crawl if I get close to 1000 people.

Yeah i understand that.

1: i can understand my computer is maybe better than many people....
2: i anyways didnt played a single game .... since we got the toolkit lol 6 month ago ? lol
3: so i dont know how it goes if i have 1000, 2500 or 5000 bannies lol

i just finished to fully optimize Floor 1 Model 1. While the .fbx file just passed from 727kb to 389kb , the number of polygons passed from 27,980 poly to 11,346 poly ONLY !!
so i did cut more than half of the graphic charge on the computer for that model. we are saving 60% !!!!!!!

i know you guys you dont care about those numbers... but for me they are important ! :)

EDIT: Of course, if there wouldnt any flowers.... the numbers would be cut to 10% and it would be nothing, but i think to have flowers.... really finish the models and give a graphic enhancement that the game never had before :)

Bobbi

Low poly is great, but please please don't get rid of the flowers. They give a nice European flavor to the houses.

RedKetchup

i know ! this is why i added them to the models :)