News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Game over.

Started by assobanana76, August 10, 2015, 06:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assobanana76

when you decide that a city has given all he could give, and you can switch to another?

I was thinking, whereas I have always little time to play and playing to a maximum of 5x, I tend to get attached to the city that I build for months and I have a hard to say "goodbye".
so far my previous three cities have all been abandoned due to constant crashes for mod conflict or from errors beginner (I did not know the age ratio 1: 4!)

but I really can not give up "New Las Vegans" so I really many ideas yet to be realized and I'm playing for about 4 months..!!

my problem is that in the meantime will be released in the coming days the new version 1.5 of the CC, and Mathiueso pulled out of the hat so many beautiful things and Red is working on 2.0!
I'm almost praying a natural disaster that devastated the city put beyond repair ...

it is even more devastating than having discovered that probably with my pc I can never play more than a small map!
and how do I let all those new things in a small map ??  :'(
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Paeng

Well, you can always save your current game and back up all the files in a different folder... that way you can always resurrect it - just be sure to make a list of all the mods (and the mod-versions!) you used for that save.

Personally I like closure - so once I made all the screenshots and published the Journal, I'm done... Usually by that time I'm already burning to start a new town because of all the things I learned along the way, or  found I could do "better"... By now I made more than 30 towns, and I cannot say that there is any that I am particularly attached to - I love 'em all, the pearls as much as the ugly ducklings, and once in a while I love to re-visit the Journals - usually having a good laugh at some earlier, rather clumsy attempts, or getting some inspiration how to approach things differently.

I never say "This is my best town", all I say is "That was my best town when I built it"...  ;)

As for the "small maps only" - I can't really believe that. Banished is not that demanding (unless you go for really huge populations).
You should try medium maps and just spread things out a bit more - larger map does not mean that now you need to fill every square millimeter with some kind of structure  ;D

Also, there is no law forcing you to use every item in any given town - by now there is so much stuff that one can be choosy - maybe must be choosy, in order not to "kill" the scenery... select your items well and use only those that enhance each other, so often "less is more"  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

A Nonny Moose

First of all, this is a game.  A leisure time activity that poses problems for the player to solve.  These problems have a general algorithm set built in, plus consequences of player action.  But it is still only a game.

As described above, you can indeed save your save folder elsewhere, with a list of current mods so that the game can be resurrected.  You had better also save your mods folder (Windata/*.pkm) or even the entire folder.

I don't get too involved in this game because I run other simulations, mostly SimCity 4 Deluxe, and Angband (a D&D Tolkien turn based game).  And I run some keep mind sharp games as well that contain pattern matching (one of my weaknesses) and logic.

If you find yourself getting too immersed in this milieu, I'd tend to leave it alone for a week or two.  Games of this nature can be addictive, and this is not a good thing.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

assobanana76

thanks guys!

Luckily, you have suggested me to also save the current versions of the mods !!
I would have deleted a lot of things and I could never recover my "New Las Vegans"!  :'(

I also hope I can make a video, like those of Paeng, to be published!
everything is going to see if my pc do it to run Banished and the recording program without exploding!  ;D

New Las Vegans probably IS my best city.. for the moment!
but probably because all the others I had to throw them because they can not complete them for many reasons (often because I messed up with mods)!  :)

regarding the size of the map I think in some way affect the RAM (and seen my problems lately ...)
for this thought of using small maps ..

you're right .. my original idea was to use ALL buildings buildable!
then I was confronted with the fact that I'm still a rookie and after 80 years I managed to get underway are the food production chains (crops / orchards / apiary / glass / preservist).
and this is what I most disheartening to think of starting a new city .. I'm too slow !!
at 10x suddenly I find myself always with alarms of low reserves of food, clothing, tools etc .. always before I see it .. because I'm too focused on to better position the buildings or busy admiring the intermediate steps of building! lol  ;D ;D
then I think it becomes a burden to build a city from 0!
Perhaps I should start with easy starting condition ...

or should I switch off for a while, like Nonny Moose suggest,.. devote myself to "Year 2070" (bought, installed and never used) or to "SC4" (in my whislist) waiting for Red give us its NMT 2.0 and then again with more energy return on Banished with also CC 1.5 and FM:HS!

or try to build only small experimental things, as I was trying to do it by building a market 25x25 fusing CC:EA and FM:HS.
things then I could reuse when I decide to start from 0 to a new city ..
a bit like, for some time, I did it with the mod medieval Red when I created small farmhouse or house suspended over the river .. or quarry "inside" the mountain .. or custom market 12x12..
little things short ..

since I returned to video games, after decades, I bought on Steam 17 games and I have 41 in whishlist and only ever used Banished !!  ;D ;D
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

assobanana76

I attachment to this post to ask you a question ..
(maybe we talked about that but I can not find the post ..)
you think it is possible to calculate, even approximately, the time when, if you want to maintain a stable population established, do not have to build houses because dead people free homes for new couples in a costant change?
I do not know what I mean well ..
if I want, for example, to have a stable population of 100 people as I can keep it stable without causing starvation voluntarily (the only way I can think to thin the population)..
Whereas the construction of a number of stable houses a year?
we can start from a calculation of 70 years of life that divided four counts 17/18 years of game?
then a young couple dies and releases a house in 18 years ..
But you should also calculate the length of life of the children ..
too complicated?  :-\

irrelevant

Quote from: assobanana76 on September 03, 2015, 05:34:28 AM
I attachment to this post to ask you a question ..
(maybe we talked about that but I can not find the post ..)
you think it is possible to calculate, even approximately, the time when, if you want to maintain a stable population established, do not have to build houses because dead people free homes for new couples in a costant change?
I do not know what I mean well ..
if I want, for example, to have a stable population of 100 people as I can keep it stable without causing starvation voluntarily (the only way I can think to thin the population)..
Whereas the construction of a number of stable houses a year?
we can start from a calculation of 70 years of life that divided four counts 17/18 years of game?
then a young couple dies and releases a house in 18 years ..
But you should also calculate the length of life of the children ..
too complicated?  :-\

It's not that it's too complicated, it's that there are too many factors that affect your population curve. Trying to use averages ("70 years of life") will not work, because there is so much variation around the average value. Also, the ratio between males and females and their relative ages comes into play. Education also is a factor. I have tried and tried to get some kind of flat pop curve, and I have come to believe that it is just impossible. IMO, the best you can hope for is a sine wave (up-down-up-down-up....).

Also, you mentioned starting on "easy." Ironically, starting on "easy" is hard. From the start you are saddled with 5 wooden houses and must keep them filled with fuel. Also, you will have livestock, which I know you don't want to have. A medium start would be much better for you I think. You start with crop seeds, and maybe an orchard seed.

irrelevant

assobanana76

@irrelevant
ok .. 13 pages with GoogleTranslate are too many for me!  ;D
I could go crazy trying to figure out what It's translating!
thats why I approach little the threads that contain post too long ..
language barriers for me are falling, but slowly! :'(

however, I read here and there from page 10 .. I think the problem has arisen there ..
I seemed to understand that self-trading is a real mess to balance .. I trade mainly firewood and materials for food .. maybe it would be even easier. sell three or four materials in exchange for another 3 or 4 food.

about the growth of the population in fact I would get to the point where you were stuck! namely a non-growth.
I found that to build 5 houses in about 10 years ago the population grow slowly keeping stable the ratio adult / child .. but.. I was wondering how NOT to build MORE houses to activate an auto-pilot.
how many families are in balance? and with how many houses available?
how proportion children / adults establishes and generational renewal in existing homes?

my puzzle would leave the game to 10x in the evening and find him still alive in the morning with a population that is more or less the same number when I did go ..
all this because I have little time to play and in this way could give the order to build road, decoration or production buildings, go to bed, and then the next day to take care of workers employed in them.
I could see the city grow even in my absence without having to worry about starvation or a death total for old age citizens ..

irrelevant

In my present town Gopher Prairie http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=726.0 I am letting the game run continuously (except for crashes and power failures) using auto-trading. It has been running on 5x since 1700 last Saturday evening for all but 15 hours.

I am buying logs, apples, pecans, some iron, some wool, and some steel tools. I am trading away some firewood, all mushrooms, all venison, all mutton, all leather, all ale, and some beans. Tweaking the autotrades and occasionally buying more apples than the autotrade allows is the only management I am doing.

The population fluctuates up and down in a big sine wave between ~850 and ~2100.

If I was making any changes to the town at all, I would not be able to auto-run. The first three times I tried to autorun overnight were failures, it took me three tries to get everything balanced just to let it run 8 hours.

I haven't built anything new in hundreds of years.

irrelevant

Quote from: assobanana76 on September 03, 2015, 07:28:39 AM
@irrelevant
To summarize the flat population experiment, I tried building a few houses every year, that didn't work.

I also tried to maintain the number of children within a small range, that didn't work either.

assobanana76

I understand that this oscillation "constant" of the population is obtained WITHOUT the construction of new homes, right? (after all, if you're not in front of the pc ..)

seeing the last picture ..
your proportion houses / citizens is about 1/3
your proportion houses / families is about 1 / 1.5
your proportion laborers / workers is about 1/3
your proportion children / adults is about 1/15

I would not get to a thousand people, but far fewer 300/400 .. .. so I tried to parameterize your results with my possible outcomes ..

we could say that reached these proportions you can try with the auto-pilot?

assobanana76

Quote from: irrelevant on September 03, 2015, 07:57:53 AM
@irrelevant
To summarize the flat population experiment, I tried building a few houses every year, that didn't work.

I also tried to maintain the number of children within a small range, that didn't work either.
the construction of a few houses a year what resulted?
a slow but steady growth?

irrelevant

Quote from: assobanana76 on September 03, 2015, 08:06:42 AM
Quote from: irrelevant on September 03, 2015, 07:57:53 AM
@irrelevant

the construction of a few houses a year what resulted?
a slow but steady growth?
Yes, if you continue to build houses, your population will continue to grow. "Steady" is less certain.

irrelevant

Quote from: assobanana76 on September 03, 2015, 08:04:16 AM
I understand that this oscillation "constant" of the population is obtained WITHOUT the construction of new homes, right? (after all, if you're not in front of the pc ..)

seeing the last picture ..
your proportion houses / citizens is about 1/3
your proportion houses / families is about 1 / 1.5
your proportion laborers / workers is about 1/3
your proportion children / adults is about 1/15

I would not get to a thousand people, but far fewer 300/400 .. .. so I tried to parameterize your results with my possible outcomes ..

we could say that reached these proportions you can try with the auto-pilot?
I would not take my proportions as a prescription. My town is 0% educated. That has a huge impact.

My suggestion is, if you want to try autotrading, just set up your best guess for your trades, save the game, and let it run overnight. If your town dies, you can revert to your save, and you haven't lost anything. And in the meantime, you will have learned some things and your next trial will be better. Adjust your trades and try again tomorrow night, and the night after. That's basically what I did.

A Nonny Moose

This is a stochastic simulation, and it has algorithms to drive it in such a way that it will never stop growing and posing conundrums for the player.  I would suggest it is very much like SimCity 4 Deluxe where you can never win but only lose.  To paraphrase the three laws of thermodynamics:

• You can't win.
  • You can't break even.
  • You can't get out of the game.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/